Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Proverbs 1:7 Beginning of Wisdom



Cartoon of  two boys in school. One says, "We must be getting knowledge. It smells a lot like fear."
This cartoon is based on Proverbs 1:7
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. Proverbs 1:7

I used to wonder what it meant to fear the Lord. When I thought of fear, I thought of scary movies. Usually, some evil force would terrorize the hero in those movies. It didn't make sense to fear God if he was good.


Now I see that the fear comes from knowing God is all powerful, all knowing and yes, He's all good. He knows my strengths and weaknesses. It is by his mercy I am on earth in the first place. 


It's too easy for me to forget that in a world where modern conveniences make me comfortable and science attempts to explain everything away. I may think I have an answer for everything and a way to take care of myself in any situation.
I need to remember God controls my life. By his will, he placed me at this time and place in the world. Just that fact is enough to make me fear Him and be thankful for what he's done for me.


I drew this comic in Adobe Illustrator CS2

1 comment:

Anders Branderud said...

Mishlei Shlomoh is full with wisdom from the Creator. Mishlei Shlomoh (de-judaized to Proverbs) 1:28-29 teaches that those who does not choose יִרְאַת ha-Sheim (the Creator), will not find Him.

Looking in a concordance of the world yira, when it is in the context of ha-Sheim, one finds that non-selective Torah-observance to ones utmost is required.

This is also in accordance with what the historical first century Ribi Yehoshua ha-Mashiakh from Nazareth taught to his followers. His teachings are found in www.netzarim.co.il